[Ipopt] Using IPOPT as a Linear (Sub-)Solver for LP and QP Problems.

Jeffrey Dean Kelly jdkelly at industrialgorithms.ca
Mon Sep 2 06:45:23 EDT 2013

Hi Jonathan;

Yes, I also use active-set solvers in my SLP such as LPSOLVE, GLPK, COINMP
(CBC/CLP), GUROBI, XPRESS and CPLEX where it is known that solving with an
IPM first for 1 to 5 major iterations is useful then to switch-over to an
active-set solver as well as switching between primal and dual methods as
convergence gets close is also beneficial.

Hence, I am trying to use IPOPT as a preliminary IPM solver for the first
few major iterations to see if that is effective but I am finding that for
pure LP's and QP's IPOPT's performance is less than expected unless I can
find some better settings/options.

Thanks, Jeff

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM, <jonathan.hogg at stfc.ac.uk> wrote:

> If you're using SLP/SQP, the solution for one iteration is probably
> related to the iteration for the next. If you use a simplex/active set
> based solver such as CLP instead of an interior point one, you'll be able
> to warmstart which is harder to do with an IPM algorithm like Ipopt (if you
> want to get complicated you can look at crossover on the first iterate).
>
> Jonathan.

Better Data + Better Decisions = Better Business
Jeffrey D. Kelly
Industrial Algorithms LLC.
Email: jdkelly at industrialgorithms. <alkis at industrialgorithms.com>ca
http://www.industrialgorithms.com/