[Ipopt] About ipopt

Mostafa Bakhtvar bakhtvar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 10:58:53 EST 2013

I followed the step by step installation guide below by Tony Kelman and
everything went smooth,
I suggest using Cygwin if you are on windows, it is pretty easy and
straightforward.

Regards
Mosy

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Tony Kelman <kelman at berkeley.edu> wrote:
Mosy,

I've recently been compiling Ipopt many times on a variety of machines
including on Windows with Cygwin, so I can probably help you out.

As John suggested, you can also try MinGW instead of Cygwin. There is a
straightforward GUI installer called mingw-get-inst available here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Installer/mingw-get-inst/ .
During the installation, select the C, C++, and Fortran compilers, and the
MSYS Basic System. You then need one additional item, the mingwPORT of wget
from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Other/mingwPORT/Current%20Releas
es/wget-1.9.1-mingwPORT.tar.bz2/download in order to download the
third-party sources that Ipopt requires. Copy the wget.exe from that tar
file into your MinGW/msys/1.0/bin folder.

If you would prefer to stick with Cygwin, it should work as long as you
install the following packages.
Under Devel, you need: gcc4, gcc4-fortran
Under Devel, I recommend: subversion
Under Web, you need: wget

Be sure to "Select required packages" when a Resolving Dependencies window
comes up.

As you hopefully saw under Compilation on the current issues page
(https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/wiki/current-issues), the version
of "make" that the Cygwin installer gives you will not work. Download the
fixed version from http://www.cmake.org/files/cygwin/make.exe and save it to
cygwin/bin. Double-check this new version by typing "make --version" in a
Cygwin terminal, if you get an error "-bash: /usr/bin/make: Bad address",
then try http://www.cmake.org/files/cygwin/make.exe-cygwin1.7 instead,
rename it to make.exe and move it to cygwin/bin.

Download a copy of the Ipopt source. If you installed subversion, you can do
this easily from the command line:
svn co https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/Ipopt/releases/3.10.2 ~/Ipopt-3.10.2

Download the third-party sources:
cd ~/Ipopt-3.10.2
cd ThirdParty/Blas; ./get.Blas; cd ../..
cd ThirdParty/Lapack; ./get.Lapack; cd ../..
cd ThirdParty/Metis; ./get.Metis; cd ../..
cd ThirdParty/Mumps; ./get.Mumps; cd ../..
cd ThirdParty/ASL; ./get.ASL; cd ../..
(ASL is optional, only necessary if you are working with AMPL models)

Make a build directory, configure and compile:
mkdir build
cd build
../configure
make
make test
make install

I just tried this out on a Windows computer with a fresh installation of
Cygwin (only the default packages plus those mentioned above) and it worked.
If you are having problems, can you be more specific about when the first
errors occur and exactly what they say?