[Ipopt] Online Graduate Course in Optimization

John Hedengren john.hedengren at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 09:52:09 EST 2013

I'd like to invite anyone who is interested to participate in a
graduate-level course on Optimization Techniques in Engineering. The course
uses IPOPT as one of the solvers embedded in MATLAB and Python for
tutorials and homework problems. There is no charge for course
participation, and industrial and academic participants are freely welcome.
The graduate course at BYU has 60 students from Chemical, Civil,
Electrical, and Mechanical engineering.

Course Topics

We cover theory and applications of constrained, unconstrained, continuous,
and discrete problems and address problems in linear programming, quadratic
programming, integer programming, nonlinear optimization, systems of
dynamic nonlinear equations, and multiobjective optimization. The
activities include searching for optimal solutions, performing tradeoff
analyses, balancing multiple design alternatives, and developing
optimization methods into comprehensive modeling and analysis solutions.

Ways to be involved

We are also interested in participants who can help share their experience
with optimization. This may include giving guest lectures, participating in
help sessions, or sponsoring a student course project.

The course web-site is located at http://apmonitor.com/me575 and has
lecture notes, YouTube videos, and interactive discussion forums. Please
fill out an information sheet (see Info Sheet link on the right) to tell me
a little more about your interests with the course or send me an e-mail at
john.hedengren at byu.edu. The course discussion sessions are hosted with
WebEx and are held every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 4-5 PM MST. The
password for joining the discussion session is me575.

Best regards,

John Hedengren
801-477-7341
john.hedengren at byu.edu