[Ipopt] Problems with calling IPOPT from MATLAB

Tony Kelman kelman at berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 2 20:42:50 EST 2013

In what way are you "using ampl through MATLAB"? Are you calling an external
executable with the system() or ! commands, or are you loading an Ampl
library into Matlab's memory space with loadlibrary()?

I suspect you need to compile Ipopt using the compiler versions Mathworks
requires, see http://www.mathworks.com/support/compilers/R2012a/glnxa64.html
(some people have reported success with gfortran 4.4 when 4.3 is not
available)

Matlab comes with its own versions of libstdc++ and libgfortran, which are
not compatible with the versions used by the compiler you built Ipopt with.

You'll also likely have conflicts with Lapack and Blas, since Matlab also
includes its own versions of those libraries, which aren't compatible with
Ipopt. Configure Ipopt using --with-blas=BUILD and --with-lapack=BUILD to
use the reference versions.

It will probably be necessary to use static libraries for Blas and Lapack,
which you can do by configuring Ipopt using --disable-shared.

-Tony