[Ipopt] R interface (ipoptr) problem

Anirban MUKHERJEE anirbanm at smu.edu.sg
Fri Aug 30 08:15:49 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I compiled and installed Ipopt and the R interface/package (ipoptr) on Mac OS X 10.8.5 as follows:

mkdir ipopt
cd ~/ipopt
wget http://www.coin-or.org/download/source/Ipopt/Ipopt-3.11.3.tgz
tar zxvf Ipopt-3.11.3.tgz
cd ~/ipopt/Ipopt-3.11.3/ThirdParty/Metis/
./get.Metis
cd ~/ipopt/Ipopt-3.11.3/ThirdParty/Mumps/
./get.Mumps
cd ~/ipopt/Ipopt-3.11.3
mkdir build64
cd ~/ipopt/Ipopt-3.11.3/build64
../configure --disable-shared --prefix=/usr/local \
--with-blas="-framework vecLib" --with-lapack="-framework vecLib" \
F77=gfortran FFLAGS="-fexceptions -m64 -fbackslash" \
CFLAGS="-fno-common -no-cpp-precomp -fexceptions -arch x86_64 -m64" \
CXXFLAGS="-fno-common -no-cpp-precomp -fexceptions -arch x86_64 -m64"
make
make test
sudo make install

That seems to have installed ok (passes make test). I then installed ipoptr (R interface) from the build directory as described here:

http://www.coin-or.org/Ipopt/documentation/node17.html

However, when I run the examples in ipoptr, I get the following error (start/end hash lines added by me):

######## ERROR MESSAGE START ############

This program contains Ipopt, a library for large-scale nonlinear optimization.
 Ipopt is released as open source code under the Eclipse Public License (EPL).
         For more information visit http://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt

NOTE: You are using Ipopt by default with the MUMPS linear solver.
      Other linear solvers might be more efficient (see Ipopt documentation).

This is Ipopt version 3.11.3, running with linear solver mumps.

Number of nonzeros in equality constraint Jacobian...:        0
Number of nonzeros in inequality constraint Jacobian.:        0
Number of nonzeros in Lagrangian Hessian.............:        0

Error in ipoptr(x0 = x0, eval_f = eval_f, eval_grad_f = eval_grad_f, eval_h = eval_h,  :
  'rho' must be an environment not NULL: detected in C-level eval

######## ERROR MESSAGE END ############

I get the same error for all the examples (from the tests directory in the R package). Any suggestions? I tried looking at the code to see if I could find a "rho" but couldn't see anything. Btw: I am using R compiled on my own computer and not the CRAN binary. I have checked my R installation, and excepting ipoptr, all seems fine.

Thanks, much appreciate any help!

Best wishes,
Anirban