[Ipopt] Build Problems with HSL for IPOPT

Breannan Smith smith at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Nov 12 00:06:06 EST 2012

I'm attempting to build HSL for IPOPT (http://www.hsl.rl.ac.uk/ipopt/)
"with" Ipopt. That is, per the install instructions included with HSL, I
extract coinhsl-2012.02.14.tar.gz, rename the resulting directory coinhsl,
and place it in the ThirdParty/HSL subdirectory of Ipopt. After running
configure with '../configure ADD_CFLAGS="-fopenmp" ADD_CXXFLAGS="-fopenmp"
ADD_FFLAGS="-fopenmp"', I can confirm that Ipopt has detected the source:

checking whether source of project HSL is available and should be
compiled... yes, source in ThirdParty/HSL

I can successfully build Ipopt, but when running make test, I recieve the
following error:

Tried to obtain MA27 from shared library "libhsl.so", but the following
error occured:
libhsl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Searching for all .so files under the build directory, I only see
libipopt.so and libcoinmetis.so, so it would appear that Ipopt is not
actually compiling the HSL source, despite detecting it. Am I missing
something in the HSL for IPOPT instructions and perhaps placing the source
in the wrong location? Has anyone come across a similar error?

For reference, I'm using Ipopt-3.10.2 and GCC 4.7.2 on Ubuntu 12.10. I've
also followed the same install instructions on OS X with Ipopt-3.10.2 and
GCC 4.7.2 and encounter a similar error.

Cheers!