[Ipopt] How to "explode" a model with variable on multiple dimensions..

Hans Pirnay hans.pirnay at rwth-aachen.de
Wed Jun 27 13:23:09 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Antonello Lobianco
<antonello at lobianco.org> wrote:
> 2012/6/27 Novalio Daratha <novatha at gmail.com>
>>
>> Hi,
>> have you take a look at pyomo?
>> Novalio
>

> Thank you.. I'm having a look to it, but on this page it is stated that
> pyomo works only for linear problems:
> http://www.coin-or.org/projects/Coopr.xml
> [...]Coopr supports a diverse set of optimization capabilities that can be
> used to formulate and analyze optimization applications. In particular, it
> include Pyomo, a Python-based modeling tool that can model abstract linear
> and integer programs.[...]
>
> On the available solver list
> (https://software.sandia.gov/trac/coopr/wiki/GettingStarted/Solvers) I can
> read only of linear or quadratic solvers, and there isn't IPOPT, that having
> tested it in GAMS, is known to work well for my model.

This is not correct - Pyomo can handle non-linear problems as well as
interface to Ipopt. In fact, since it internally uses the AMPL
interface for solvers, you can hook any NLP solver that has an AMPL
interface (SNOPT, etc) to it. Since it basically is a mathematical
modeling language within a full-fledged programming language, and it
is free even for commercial use, I think it addresses all your
concerns.