[Ipopt] Warm starting

Andreas Waechter awaechter.iems at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 16:20:09 EST 2012

Hi Joel,

In general, it is very difficult to warm start interior point methods
efficiently (even in the linear case).  The approach to experiment with
the options warm_start_bound_push, warm_start_mult_bound_push,
warm_start_init_point, and mu_init makes sense.  You might also want to
consider the adaptive mu update...

I'm not sure why warm_start_same_structure does not work for you, but
this does not lead to any significant speedup anyway, so I wouldn't
worry about it too much...

There has been some work on trying to make warmstarts work better for
interior point methods, but this has not been implemented in Ipopt.

Hope this helps,

Andreas Waechter

Associate Professor
Department of Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences
McCormick School of Engineering
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208
USA