[Ipopt] parallel version of mumps for ipopt

Damien damien at khubla.com
Sun Feb 12 16:24:52 EST 2012

Juan-Carlos,

I'll post to both lists seeing as you asked on both lists.  This is hard
to do.  The challenge is that MUMPS is based on MPI, which is
multi-process, and IPOPT is designed to run in a single process.
They're not compatible unless the MPI code runs out on its own in
multiple processes, and IPOPT runs in its own process, and the master
MPI process and the IPOPT process synchronise and communicate.
Basically, parallel MUMPS has to be wrapped to behave like an in-process
solver.  This isn't a 5-minute job.

If you're using the simple open-source BLAS/LAPACK, switch to say the
Intel MKL, AMD ACML or GOTO versions.  They're all much faster than the
open-source version and will give you good speedup.  If you have such a
large system that it really needs parallel speedup, you should either
try either a parallel BLAS/LAPACK library with MUMPS and IPOPT, or use a
multi-threaded solver like PARDISO.  There was a multithreaded MUMPS in
development at one point, but I don't think there's a committed release
date yet.
Damien