[Ipopt] IpOpt code: Detereministic or Random across various runs?

AliReza Khoshgoftar Monfared khoshgoftar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 15:28:27 EST 2012

Thanks Stefan,

I tested the error proposed in the ticket and since I could reproduce it, I
applied the patch. Now it's gone.
Despite this, I still see the deviation in answers to the problem I have.
To clear the way this error is produced, I solve three  very similar
optimization problems in succession (say t=0, t=1 and t=2 problems). I run
this two times, and for each run, I provide Ipopt with the exact answer for
t=0. Since problems at t=1 and 2 are similar, it is expected that answers
are the same, but I see that at t=1 there is a deviation on the order of
1e-4 across the 2 runs and at t=2 it's on the order of 1e-3 (and this error
can propagate larger if i continue this)
As stated, despite this, Ipopt is giving me answers both of which respect
all (non-linear) constraints of the problem, so they are all correct
answers in this sense, although I expect ipopt to follow a determinism path
and arrive at the same correct answer from the same initial point every
time.

I will try to find the differences in the ipopt report of problems and post
them here if I could figure out the reason.

Alireza