[Ipopt] If statement in objective function

Hans Pirnay hans.pirnay at rwth-aachen.de
Tue Sep 20 02:48:51 EDT 2011

Hi Greg,

that model is not a smooth nonlinear optimization problem, and
therefore not directly solvable with Ipopt.

Here's one simple thing you can do if you only have one constraint of
this kind: Solve the problem three times, once with the constraint

x <=a,   price=0
x >=a, x<=b   ,  price=1
x>=b,  price = 0

If you have several price variables, this approach quickly becomes
infeasible, and you will need to use an MINLP solver (I don't have any
suggestion which, it probably depends on what you can afford, though).

good luck

Hans