[Ipopt] Suppressing warning messages

Herb Schilling hschilling at nasa.gov
Fri Sep 16 11:15:51 EDT 2011

Hi Stefan,

 Thanks for the reply and ideas!

On Sep 16, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Stefan Vigerske wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I think suppress_all_output option gets active AFTER all options have
> been read (see IpoptApplication::Initialize(istream&)). So output caused
> while reading the option file are still printed.
>
> You could try to call the IpoptApplication constructor with argument
> "false". Then you should have no output from the beginning on.

I should explain how we are using Ipopt. First we are using the Python wrapper, Pyipopt ( http://code.google.com/p/pyipopt/ ). It uses the C interface to Ipopt. So here is sequence of calls:

	1. Pyipopt calls CreateIpoptProblem

	2. CreateIpoptProblem calls the constructor IpoptApplication with NO arguments. ( So unfortunately, your second idea won't work unless I modify the Ipopt code, which would be easy, but I don't want to start my own fork of Ipopt ! )

We don't read the options from a file. Rather we make calls to Pyipopt's add_XXX_option methods which in turn call Ipopt's C interface functions, AddIpoptXXXOption. I had been setting suppress_all_output to yes after all the other options had been set so I got excited that setting it first might help, but it didn't.

I can dig through the Ipopt code some more but that journaling system, while it seems very powerful, is kind of hard to follow! So that's why I was hoping someone would have solved my problem before.

Thanks for helping.

> Stefan
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>  For the purposes of some tests, I would like to suppress all output from Ipopt. I am already setting "suppress_all_output" to "yes". But I still get messages like the three below sent to the screen. Is there an option to suppress these too?
>>
>> ( We are making use of Ipopt in a larger system ,http://openmdao.org/ . Our tests include some intentional errors. We are checking our error handling. )
>>
>> Thanks in advance for the help!
>>

>> 1. Tried to set Option: invalid_parameter_name. It is not a valid option. Please check the list of available options.
>>
>> 2.  Setting: "-99" is not a valid setting for Option: max_iter. Check the option documentation.
>>
>> 3.
>> ### max_iter (Integer) ###
>> Category: Convergence
>> 0<= (3000)<= +inf
>> ...Warning: overflow encountered in double_scalars

Herb Schilling
hschilling at nasa.gov