[Ipopt] ipoptr

Jelmer Ypma j.ypma at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 10 02:31:30 EDT 2011

Hi Gaspar,

thanks for your interest in Ipopt through R. It would be helpful to
know which operating system you're on. Also, what did you try up to
now, and where did you fail?

In principle, the following steps should be taken:
1. make sure your system has the correct tools (compilers, svn, ...)
2. download the Ipopt code (e.g.
http://www.coin-or.org/Ipopt/documentation/node10.html)
3. download external code
4. configure Ipopt
5. compile Ipopt
6. install the R interface

The latest stable release (3.9) does not contain the most up-to-date
version of the R interface, so in that case it is recommended that
between step 2. and 3. you download the most recent version of the R
interface from R-Forge (e.g. using svn checkout
svn://scm.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/ipoptr as described on
https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/?group_id=868).

Remove the directories in $IPOPTDIR/Ipopt/contrib/RInterface and
replace those by the newly downloaded directories inside ipoptr/pkg/
(e.g. src/, R/, inst/, ...).

Alternatively, you could also download the latest Ipopt trunk release,
which does contain the most up-to-date R interface.

After completing steps 3., 4., and 5., you can install the R interface
from R using the command
R> install.packages('$IPOPTDIR/Ipopt/contrib/RInterface', repos=NULL,
type='source')

My configure statement in step 4. using MSYS/Mingw32 on Windows, looks
something like this (this is when you only want to use Ipopt from R
and link to the BLAS and Lapack libraries included with R)
../configure --prefix=C:/tools/CoinIpopt/build --enable-doscompile
--enable-static --disable-shared ADD_CXXFLAGS="-fexceptions"
ADD_CFLAGS="-fexceptions" ADD_FFLAGS="-fexceptions"
--with-blas="-Lc:/tools/R-2.12.0/bin/i386 -lRblas"
--with-lapack="-Lc:/tools/R-2.12.0/bin/i386 -lRlapack"

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you need more information.

Best,
Jelmer