[Ipopt] IPOPT: EXIT: Not enough memory

Tom Vacek vacek008 at umn.edu
Sat Apr 2 17:08:19 EDT 2011

I have a similar issue.  I have a problem with ~17000 variables and
~1000 equality constraints.  Therefore, the search direction iteration
matrix should be 18000x18000.  (But it's an easy problem:
quadratic/affine with a diagonal Hessian).  My system has 16G of memory,
and an 18000x18000 dense matrix would take 2.5 gigs, yet Ipopt runs out
of memory.  Also, I can easily factorize the same iteration matrix using
Matlab ldl, which is ma57 as well.

Can someone explain why this is so?

Thanks,

Tom