[Ipopt] Infinite Loop Problem With Precompiled Ipopt DLL v3.8.1

Teeter, Chuck cteeter at Suncor.com
Thu May 20 11:29:06 EDT 2010

Hi Marcel,

I did some follow-up testing this morning, and your binaries are absolutely fine when used in tandem (ie, the libAimmsIpopt.dll and Ipopt38.dll).  I also checked the versions with MKL Blas and Lapack, and they are fine as well.

I only experienced problems when mixing binaries from different sources.  I think one possible reason for this is that in my (custom built) AIMMS link, I have 4 different linear solver options listed (MUMPS, MA27, MA57, and PARDISO), while the posted binary lists 3 solvers as options (MUMPS, MA27, and PARDISO).  In my AIMMS project file, MA57 is selected as the linear solver.  If I then switch to the posted binary link, PARDISO becomes the selected solver (same relative position in list).  Since I do not currently load this solver, the solve immediately fails.  I also use a recently modified version of the MA57 interface that is different from the one contained in the posted version of Ipopt38.dll.  This may also be contributing to the incompatibilities I've noticed.  In any case, so long as the binaries are from the same source, there is no problem.

A question - should MA57 also be included in the base interface as a standard linear solver option?

The other thing I noticed pertains to the use of OpenMP.  I use OpenMP in a DLL that houses some external functions that I call from AIMMS.  When I build this DLL, I link to libiomp5md.lib to provide the OpenMP functionality.  Some of the installed AIMMS solvers make use of libguide40.dll to provide (legacy) OpenMP functionality.  When I attempted to solve my AIMMS model with your new version of Ipopt38.dll using MKL Blas and Lapack, my AIMMS session was immediately aborted due to conflicts between the two OpenMP libraries.  I rectified this by adding/setting the following environment variable:

KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK = TRUE

This would likely affect very few users, but is useful to know just in case there might be a conflict.

-----Original Message-----
From: ipopt-bounces at list.coin-or.org [mailto:ipopt-bounces at list.coin-or.org] On Behalf Of Marcel Roelofs
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:09 PM
To: ipopt at list.coin-or.org
Subject: Re: [Ipopt] Infinite Loop Problem With Precompiled Ipopt DLL v3.8.1

Hi Chuck,

I'm a little bit surprised to read this. As the one responsible for building the Ipopt DDLs, we've extensively tested them specifically with AIMMS before posting them, and encountered no problems, neither with MUMPS nor with HSL. So, my question would be what is specific to your setup that prevent the posted DLLs from working for you. Do you still remember what kind of errors you encountered? The only difference I can come up with so far is, assuming you're using HSL, that you used VS 2008 to compile the HSL sources.

BTW. The v8-ifort project in the Ipopt trunk now also contains a configuration for linking against the MKL Blas and Lapack libraries. At

ftp://ftp.aimms.com/pub/Download/Private/Ipopt/IpOpt-pre-3.8.2.7z

you can find the pre-3.8.2 binaries as I compiled them on my machine using VS2005/Ifort 11.1.060. Could you verify whether these work for you or not, and if not, what is the problem? In the end, I'd like to make life for Ipopt users on Windows as convenient as possible by providing DLLs that actually work.

Cheers,

Marcel Roelofs
Paragon Decision Technology

> Hi Chris,
>
> I haven't encountered this specific issue, but I can say that the
> Windows Ipopt 3.8.1 DLLs that are posted do not work for me when I use
> them with the AIMMS modeling system (uses C++ interface, though).
When
> I build the same DLLs from source with VS2008, I have no problems.
Have
> you tried using any of the other binaries or building the DLLs
yourself?

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.