[Ipopt] 0xc0000005 error at runtime

Jens Schubert jens.schubert.1 at googlemail.com
Sat May 15 20:41:01 EDT 2010

Hi Ipopt-experts, hi Rodrigo,

already last week I managed to build an Ipopt-library successfully.
This version also works at run time. I think this information is
usefull because I didn't find an answer on how to get rid of the error
 0xc0000005  at runtime, but now I have a working solution.

Details:
I used gcc 4.5.0 as suggested on the minGW home page. The code was
compiling without giving an error. However,at run time (i.e. make
test) the program always finished with error 0xc0000005 . After a many
tries I found the following in the release notes of mingw 4.5.0
* When linking C++ modules with shared libstdc++ (the default), the
  linker may warn about activating auto-import. The workaround is to
  add one of the following flags:
  a) -Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc-v2
     The warning is still printed, but is now harmless.
  b) -Wl,--enable-auto-import
     Actually does what the warning suggests.
  c) -static-libstdc++
     Avoids creating the issue in the first place.
  d) none of the above.
     You may get a 0xc0000005 error at runtime.

I tried solution a) and b) both did work fine for me.
I.e. I configured with
$MyIpoptDir/MyBuildDir> ../configure \
    LDFLAGS=-Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc-v2

and I also tried configuring with
$MyIpoptDir/MyBuildDir> ../configure \
    LDFLAGS=-Wl,--enable-auto-import

I tried the TDM-gcc suggested by Rodrigo but the I could not compile
Ipopt with TDM-gcc. However, new questions ar rising - see my next
mail.

Regards
Jens