[Ipopt] IPOPT and MinGW/MSYS

John Pye john.pye at anu.edu.au
Wed May 5 03:16:43 EDT 2010

Hi all

Just trying to build IPOPT 3.8.1 on MinGW/MSYS. Previously I had no
trouble with this, and built an ipopt.dll DLL that I had shipped with
our product (which is GPL licensed, BTW!). I think this may previously
have been with version 3.8.0 or earlier.

Anyway, with the latest version, it seems that I can no longer use
'--enable-shared' to produce a DLL. The following error is returned:

> configure: WARNING: On Msys, shared objects are not supported. I'm
> disabling you
> r choice.

I don't understand this: MSYS most definitely does support shared
objects (SOs aka DLLs), so why is my choice being disabled? We'd be very
keen to have a DLL version of IPOPT available to us, because it means we
can make it a drop-in optional component (dlopen-able) if we so choose.

Next, I get the following error, which it is requested I tell you about.
I can confirm that windows.h exists, and I have been able to use it with
some other code that I've been working on recently.

> checking whether the linear solver loader should be compiled... yes
> checking windows.h usability... no
> checking windows.h presence... yes
> configure: WARNING: windows.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: windows.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: windows.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> configure: WARNING: windows.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be
> Compiled"
> configure: WARNING: windows.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
> configure: WARNING: windows.h: in the future, the compiler will take
> precedence
> configure: WARNING:     ##
> ----- ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to
> http://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt/newt
> icket ##
> configure: WARNING:     ##
> ----- ##