[Ipopt] building Ipopt under msys/mingw -- "application could not be initialized correctly"

Jens Schubert jens.schubert.1 at googlemail.com
Tue May 4 11:36:42 EDT 2010

Hello Ipopt-experts,

I try to compile Ipopt on a windows machine using GCC. The details are:
 - MinGW version 4.5.0
 - Msys
 - Ipopt version 3.8.0
 - OS: windows vista

In some detail, I am doing the following [should be exactly as in
documentation - did I forget something?]:
 1.) get the ipopt code
 2.) get the required ThirdParty code (ASL, Lapack, and BLAS) via the
get comands
 3.) get the HSL as described (ma27ad.f and mc19ad.f)
 4.) mkdir $MyIpoptDir/build
cd $MyIpoptDir/build
$MyIpoptDir/configure
 5.) make
===> Up to this point everything seems to work fine. The problem
appears in the next step.
6.) make test
All the 4 tests fail. I expect the AMPL solver to fail ( because I
didn't install AMLP).
but I did not expect that the other three parts of the unit test fail.
The error message on my system is the following:

Die Anwendung konnte nicht richtig initialisiert werden (0xc0000005).
 Klicken Sie auf "OK", um die Anwendung zu beenden.

 [Translation:
The application could not be initialized correctly (0xc0000005).
Click "OK"-Button to end the application.]

So far I tried various things to get the cpp-example running, but it
always fails with the same error message when I try to run it.
-How do I get the example running?
-What did I forget?
-How do I have to set environment / environment-variables?
On the one hand I am relatively new with building under Windows [i.e.
building with msys/mingw]. On the other hand I succeeded to build and
run other software packages on msys/mingw.

I would be happy to get in contact with someone who managed to compile
under msys/mingw.
-How did you set up your environment to succeed?
-How did you install ipopt?

Thanks for any help in advance
Jens