[Ipopt] Problem setting the convergence tolerance using the "tol" option in Matlab

Uwe Sander sander at tum.de
Tue Mar 2 03:39:37 EST 2010

Hi Andreas,

thanks for these useful tips. :-)

I am now sure that the Matlab interface is not the problem. The "tol"
option is passed correctly to Ipopt. The problem rather seems to be in
the computation of the NLP error which is significant for the
convergence tolerance. When the optimisation stops at e.g. -0.999 (-1 is
the optimimum) the corresponding NLP error will be of the order of 10^0,
instead of the order of 10^(-3) (what I would expect in all my naivety
for this example).
I am not sure if setting the "obj_scaling_factor" is the right thing to
do in this case or if there is something else I have overlooked.

Thanks again,
Uwe