[Ipopt] Ipopt release 3.9.2 (now under Eclipse Public License)

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Wed Dec 22 15:19:22 EST 2010

Hello,

I just created a new Ipopt release.  It has some bug fixes for the build
system, but the main difference is that the open source license has
changed:

In this latest release, we switched the license under which Ipopt is
available from the "Common Public License (CPL)" to the "Eclipse Public
License (EPL)."  -  a number of Ipopt users had already requested this
change.

The license IBM used on COIN-OR (CPL, Common Public License) has been
"deprecated and superseded" by the Ecplise Public License (EPL). The new
license (EPL) is almost the same as the old with 2 "new and improved"
features: (i) the license steward is the Eclipse Foundation (not IBM) and
(ii) the EPL does not have the "defense termination clause" (aka the
patent retaliation bit) which was a point of objection by some.

Some additional information regarding the licenses might be found at this
FAQ: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-cplfaq.html

Happy Holidays,