[Ipopt] What shall I do when "Not enough memory" is encountered

Jonathan Hogg jonathan.hogg at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 10:45:37 EDT 2010

Weifeng,

If methods to reduce the memory required by MA27 are insufficient, we
have an experimental interface for our out-of-core solver HSL_MA77 that
uses disk rather than memory to store the factors, but will be
considerably slower than using an in-core solver.

If this is of interest please contact me directly and I can give you
more detailed instructions (as an academic you will qualify for the
academic licence to our more recent codes).

When I get time (hopefully after Easter) I'll pull together various bug
fixes and performance improvements before making the interface more
widely available via the Ipopt svn tree.

If the memory issues are due to poor scaling, using MA57 rather than
MA27 as the linear solver may help as the current Ipopt default is to
use a matching based scaling internal to the linear solver.

Jonathan Hogg
STFC

PS If you have any problems that are large enough to tax MA27/MA57
inside IPOPT, we would love to get access to them (under an NDA if
necessary) so we can improve our linear solvers.