[Ipopt] Termination code 11

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Fri May 15 12:24:53 EDT 2009

Hi,

I don't think that there are any relevant changes from 3.6.0 to 3.6.1 that
might fix this issue...

termination code 11 means that there is memory bug.  Johan, I suggest you
get a clean version of Ipopt (well, then you might was well take 3.6.1)
and all dependencies, and reconfigure the same way as you did before, just
add "--enable-debug" to the configure command line.  Then do the usual
make test and make install.

Then see if you still have this problem.  (If not, try again, but without
--enable-debug.)  If you still have this problem, you need to create an
AMPL input file (*.nl) so that you can run the Ipopt AMPL solver from the
command line.  To do that, just add

write gbla;

before the solve command in your AMPL script.  This should create a file
"bla.nl".  Then try to run

ipopt bla.nl

from the command line, and hopefully you will still see the error.  Now
you can run Ipopt through a debugger or better, a memory checker, as in

valgrind --db-attach=yes ipopt bla.nl

This will tell you where the memory problem appears.  Maybe you can
already see then what the problem is.  If you can't please submit a
bug ticket at the Ipopt mailing list describing exactly you problem (and
what OS and compilers you are using), and attach the Ipopt/config.log file
(in the Ipopt subdirectory!) and the files necessary to reproduce this
problem.