[Ipopt] Problems in compileing for Windows

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Sun Jul 26 08:19:52 EDT 2009

Hi,

> I am trying to upgrade my version of IpOpt to the current level.  I have the Intel Fortran compiler (Version 11) and the Microsoft Visual Studio (2005).  My environment is Cygwin, and I configure with --enable-doscompile=msvc.  I have used the get statements in the respective ThirdParty directories to get Lapack, Blas, Metis and I also have the latest version of Mumps.

> 1. When I run configure, I get a warning that the FFLAGS="" does not work, and that it will compile with an empty FFLAGS.

That is strange. If you said F77=ifort, then it should have been able to
setup the right flags FFLAGS.

> 2. The configure command detects Blas and Lapack in the MKL, and so will not build these libraries.  I guess it will use the default version of these that come with MKL.  Is this the correct approach, or is there some way I can force it to build the Blas and Lapack libraries?

You can say --with-blas=BUILD and --with-lapack=BUILD to force building
the one from ThirdParty/Blas and ThirdParty/Lapack. However, the one in
MKL should be more efficient.

> 3.  When I try to compile by running make, I get a warning that I am trying to link with static library archive mkl_core.lib and that I should maybe use the shared version.  What should I do at this stage?

I think that one can be ignored.

> 4. When at the final stage it tries to build the library, the process seems to pull in a huge number of .obj files (much more than I remember from the previous build).  It hangs at this point and I cannot proceed further and have to kill the process.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I have my configure.log and the output from the make command if these are of any use.

The config.log from the Ipopt subdirectory and the make command that
makes things hang in point 4 would be interesting.