[Ipopt] Bound on the objective function value

Z. Caner Taskin taskin at ufl.edu
Wed Feb 11 21:22:56 EST 2009

Hi all,

I am using the C++ interface of Ipopt to solve a convex minimization
problem. Specifically, the objective function is convex and all
constraints are linear inequalities. I implemented the functions to
provide first- and second-order derivatives, and Ipopt can usually solve
my problem instances to optimality. However, sometimes it stops due to
the limit on the number of iterations, and for such cases I need to
calculate a lower bound on the objective function value. Since my
problem is a convex optimization problem, the Lagrangian function should
provide a strong dual for my problem. I verified that the value of the
Lagrangian function is equal to the primal objective function value when
the problem is solved optimally. However, I am having trouble getting
consistent results for the  instances for which Ipopt stops due to the
iteration limit (usually with relatively large dual infeasibility). I
was wondering if anyone has experience obtaining bounds on the objective
function value for convex problems?

Thanks in advance,

Caner

--
Z. Caner Taskin

PhD Candidate
Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
University of Florida

Office:
303 Weil Hall, P.O. Box 116595,
Gainesville, FL 32611