[Ipopt] Ipopt 3.5.2 release

Damien Hocking damien at khubla.com
Sat Sep 20 13:55:11 EDT 2008

Folks,

Here's a copy of what I just sent to the MUMPS list.  MUMPS 4.8.2 uses C99 standard for its C files and this is the root cause of the problems.

All,

  I've got MUMPS 4.8.2 built and running under Windows using Visual  Studio 8 for the C files and Intel Fortran.  I haven't tried with VS 9  yet.  There are two issues with compiling 4.8.2 using the Microsoft  compiler.  The first is an easy fix.  The snprintf is _snprintf on the  Windows platform.  All you need is this at the top of any file that  uses snprintf (e.g. mumps_io_err.c):

  #if defined(MUMPS_WIN32)
  #define snprintf _snprintf
  #endif

  That's an easy fix.

  The second problem is more difficult.  Visual Studio 8 complies with  the C89 standard and some parts of C99.  Unfortunately it's missing a  key part of C99, which is allowing variable declarations at any point  in a function.  C89 says that all variable declarations must be at the  start of any function.  The Intel compiler has a /C99 switch and  shouldn't be affected by this.  There's two solutions for the MS  compiler.  The first is a hack:  Add the /TP flag to the compiler to  tell it to compile all the C files as C++, which allows variable  declarations anywhere.  Then you run into C++ name mangling where the  Fortran tries to call non-mangled C function names which it can't find  and then the linker complains.  The solution to that is to wrap all the  C function declarations in " extern "C" " to switch off name mangling.   This is a lot of extra work for the MUMPS devs for one compiler.  I did  this and got it to work, but I should have used the second solution,  below.  I need to try with Visual Studio 9 as well to see if that has  the same problem.

  The second solution that's not a hack involves changing the files like  mumps_io.c so that all the variable declarations are at the start of  each function so they're C89 compliant and the problem should go away.   I'll try this over the next couple of days to make sure it works and  you're welcome to the code.  That's probably the most straightforward  fix.

  end

Once I've tested out the conversion back to C89 standard and proven it works, I can post the modified MUMPS files here (shouldn't be too many) if people *really* want to use MUMPS 4.8.2.  I suspect the MUMPS devs will put a 4.8.3 patch up once we get this sorted out and tested.

Damien
  _____