[Ipopt] Ipopt Information

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Tue Jul 22 09:53:36 EDT 2008

Hi Nandini,

Please send messages regarding Ipopt to the Ipopt mailing list.

>            I would like to know whether the current C++ version(3.4.2) has
> the following implemented
>
>   -       Quasi-Newton Strategies: L-BFGS and L-SR1 options

Ipopt has full-space limited memory Quasi-Newton options implemented; the
options are described in the Ipopt documentation:

http://www.coin-or.org/Ipopt/documentation/node152.html

Your question might be coming from having worked with the Fortran
implementation earlier (looking at your next question), which also
implemented Hessian approximations in the reduced space (not
limited-memory).  This is not implemented in the C++ version of Ipopt.

Also, the Ipopt documentation only describes the limited-memory BFGS
option.  I also implemented a limited-memory SR1 option, which can be
switched on by setting

limited_memory_update_type sr1

(default is BFGS), but this didn't work particularly well, which is why it
is not included in the documentation.  But nobody will prevent you from
trying it out.

>   -       Complementarities: Handling of complementarily constraints using
>   Arvind Raghunathan's constraint relaxation

No, there is no code in the C++ version to handle complemenarity
constraints, and there is currently no plan to implement something.  You
could write your model to include penalty terms for complementarity
constraints in the objective function...