[Coin-ipopt] limited-memory quasi-Newton approximation

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Tue Jan 8 10:04:40 EST 2008

Hi Susana,

Just to add to what Tran wrote:

If you modeled your problem in C or C++ (and not in AMPL or GAMS), you
definitely should run the derivative checker to make sure you didn't make
a mistake assembling the first derivatives (it is so easy to have a
typo here... :-) )

But even if the first derivatives are correct, the limited-memory
approximation might not lead to convergence.  It is definitely not as
robust as if you are using exact second derivatives.

I searched the web, and I found an implementation of the goddard problem
in AMPL by Bob Vanderbei, at http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/goddard.html.
Of course, I'm not sure if you re using a similar model, but I simply
tried to run it:

If I just use Ipopt's default options, the problem is solved well (AMPL
automatically computes all derivatives for you).  However, if I specify
the option to use the limit-memory BFGS approximation, Ipopt doesn't
converge; it can't find a feasible point.

The quasi-Newton version of Ipopt is definitely less robust than the exact
derivative one.  There is no theory ensuring convergence for the
quasi-Newton option (while there is for the default version), and it is
mainly thought to be a heuristic for the case there second derivatives are
not available.  It works in many cases (in fact, we use it every day to
optimize computer chips), but there are limits, and you might just have
found such as case ;-)

So, if I were you, I would consider providing second derivatives to Ipopt
(maybe automatic differential tools can be helpful... such as ADOLC, CppAD
and others).  If that is really impossible, it might be worth trying a
number of different starting points, equivalent problem formulations,
playing with Ipopt options...

There are other optimization codes out there (mainly commercial) which
might have better quasi-Newton implementations, but I have no experience
with those.  (Ok, on the NEOS solver I just tried the problem with one of
the quasi-Newton algorithms, I won't way which one, and it didn't solve...
;-) )

I hope this helps,

Andreas