[Ipopt] Error in GAMS with IPOPT as solver

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Mon Aug 4 10:30:02 EDT 2008

Hi,

It looks like some of your functions cannot be evaluated at the starting
point that you provide to Ipopt.
By default, GAMS sets the starting point as the projection of 0 to the
variable bounds. If some of your functions cannot be evaluated at 0,
then you get errors like below.
Therefore, what you can do is to provide a better starting point using
the .l attribute.

E.g., consider a simple GAMS program like
Variable x;
Equation eq;
eq... log(x) =L= 1;

This will cause problems because log(x) cannot be evaluated at x==0.
Thus, setting   x.l = 1;    should help here.

Even better is to set the variable bounds such that all functions can be
evaluated for points within the points. For the above example, something
like   x.lo = 0.01;   would satisfy.

Hope this helps,
Stefan

yanndan bronx schrieb:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a problem with IPOPT in GAMS. It is a NLP problem and can not solve it. It is written in logs :
> Number of nonzeros in equality constraint Jacobian...:      234
> Number of nonzeros in inequality constraint Jacobian.:        6
> Number of nonzeros in Lagrangian Hessian.............:       43
>
> Error evaluating Jacobian of equality constraints at user provided starting point.
>   No scaling factors for equality constraints computed!
> Error evaluating Jacobian of inequality constraints at user provided starting point.
>   No scaling factors for inequality constraints computed!
>
> Number of Iterations....: 0
>
> Number of objective function evaluations             = 0
> Number of objective gradient evaluations             = 0
> Number of equality constraint evaluations            = 0
> Number of inequality constraint evaluations          = 1
> Number of equality constraint Jacobian evaluations   = 0
> Number of inequality constraint Jacobian evaluations = 0
> Number of Lagrangian Hessian evaluations             = 0
> Total CPU secs in IPOPT (w/o function evaluations)   =      0.031
> Total CPU secs in NLP function evaluations           =      0.000
>
> EXIT: Invalid number in NLP function or derivative detected.
> Exception of type: Eval_Error in file "../../../../GAMSlinks-trunk/Ipopt/src/Algorithm/IpOrigIpoptNLP.cpp" at line 550:
>  Exception message: success && IsFiniteNumber(unscaled_c->Nrm2()) evaluated false: Error evaluating the equality constraints
>
> EXIT: Some uncaught Ipopt exception encountered.
>
> When I put GAMS option, scaleopt, to 1 there is no more complains about scale in logs but there is still the error of Ipopt/src/Algorithm/IpOrigIpoptNLP.cpp
>
> If you have any idea, how to solve this problem, I will be grateful.
>

> Best Regards,
> Dan

Stefan Vigerske
Humboldt University Berlin, Numerical Mathematics
http://www.math.hu-berlin.de/~stefan