[Ipopt] A large optimization problem

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Fri Aug 1 11:05:13 EDT 2008

Hi Krish,

Did you run your code through a memory checker?  Is this first element
in IRN being set in your code?

We have been using MUMPS for a few years now, and it seems to run very
robustly.  However, Stefan in his posting seems to indicate that MUMPS
crashes (but I doubt that this is a hard crash like a seg fault, or rather
some problem like exceeding memory).  You could of course try to see what
happens when you use MA27 as an experiment.

But I would carefully check if you are setting the values correctly in
your method that are called by Ipopt to get the sparsity pattern.  Maybe
for some reason you skip the first entry.  It might really be helpful to
run your code with a derivative checker (like valgrind on windows) on a
preferrably small instance of your problem (otherwise you have to wait
forever) - if you do that, I would set the Ipopt print_level very high, so
that it will print out the values of the Jacobian and Hessian as well, and
if there is something uninitialized, valgrind would complain about before
the problem is detected in MUMPS.