[Ipopt] A large optimization problem

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 05:57:45 EDT 2008

Hi Krish,

Krish Krishnan wrote:

> I have a rather large portfolio optimization problem.  I am trying to
> use IpOpt with Mumps (due to licensing issues).
> I first outline the steps to create the problem.

I had bad experience with MUMPS and repeated crashes.  (Although I admit
that my optimization problems were quite degenerate.)  The HSL MA27 code
worked best for me and never crashed.

> Here nassets = 501, kvars = 22 so the number of non-zeros are fairly
> large.  I provide the needed jacobians and hessians.

Have you verified the gradient and Hessian to be correct?  IpOpt offers
a check option for this.

Also, have you prototyped the system before and seen it working on
smaller problems?

Sebastian