[Coin-ipopt] How to use the Matlab mex interface of IPOPT?

Peter Carbonetto pcarbo at cs.ubc.ca
Mon Sep 3 12:48:43 EDT 2007

> I don't find anywhere the documentation about how to call the IPOPT
> mex dll from Matlab, such as syntax, etc.

There should be a readme.html file included in the
Ipopt/contrib/MatlabInterface directory. The same webpage is also
available at https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt/wiki/MatlabInterface.
Also, you can type "help ipopt" in MATLAB.

> There are 5 examples in the IPOPT directory, but they all supply
> gradient and hessians. For my application, I won't be able to supply
> these components.

IPOPT requires that you supply the gradient. If I recall correctly, you
can set the computeHessian function to the empty string and it will figure
out that you want to use the quasi-Newton approximation to the Hessian.
I'm not sure what happens if you set the constraints function to the empty
string. If it doesn't work, just set the return value of the constraints
function to [], indicating that there are no constraints.

Peter Carbonetto
Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science
University of British Columbia