[Coin-ipopt] segmentation fault from IpoptSolve function

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Oct 29 18:51:20 EDT 2007

Hi Tran,

I recommend to recompile your code with debug information (e.g., do a
'make distclean', rerun configure and add the --enable-debug option, and
then do a 'make install' again.).  Then you can run your own program that
binds the Ipopt library through a debugger, or even better with the memory
checker 'valgrind' (for Intel Linux).  The latter will tell you exactly
where in the program the first failure in terms of memory access happens.

Of course, it is possible that there is a bug in the Ipopt code, but
before you file a ticket at the Ipopt project page, you might want to make
sure that the segmentation fault is not happening within your own
call-back functions that you give to Ipopt.

If you still believe there is a bug in Ipopt, please open a ticket at the
Ipopt project page and include exact instructions on how this error can be
reproduced (including a sample C program).

I don't understand what you mean by "My runnable program (in C) is
transported from Mac Intel to Linux Fedora" - if you mean by that that you
compiled an executable on a Mac and then copied it to a Linux Fedore
machine, this by itself might constitute a problem.  It is not clear to me
if executables between those two operating systems are really binary
compatible, and issues with inconsistent runtime libraries might be
responsible for the problem you observe.  (On the other hand, since you
already get some output from Ipopt I would suspect that this is not the
case.)