[Coin-ipopt] pb with discontinuity of Hessian

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Tue Mar 13 06:35:36 EDT 2007

Hi Sylvain,

I personally don't have any experience how Ipopt behaves when the problem
has non-continuous Hessians.  From a theoretical point of view, global
convergence should not be endangered (but, as I guess we all know, theory
and practice can sometimes differ widely... :).  What probably matters
much more is how nonlinear the functions are, whether you have
degeneracies, and how well your problem is scaled.

As for local convergence, this might depend on how bad the noncontinuities
are, and whether the optimum is at or close such a discontinuous point.
You could of course also use the quasi-Newton approximation of the
Lagrangina Hessian, but I would expect that to be much worse, unless your
discontinuities are really bad.

If it is easy for you to try, I would suggest to just go ahead and see how
Ipopt does (I would be interested to know).

Anybody else any idea?

Thanks

Andreas