[Coin-ipopt] pb with discontinuity of Hessian

Sylvain Miossec sylvain.miossec at aist.go.jp
Tue Mar 13 01:24:51 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have an optimization problem with continuous criteria and constraints
gradients, continuous criteria hessian but discontinuous constraints
hessians. I saw in an IPOPT paper that the conditions of use of IPOPT
are that criteria and constraints are twice differentiable.
I would like to have an idea of the implications of the absence of twice
differentiability for my problem. From a theoretical point of view is
this twice differentiability is absolutely necessary to the convergence
proof, or just for the quadratic convergence proof ? Then in a practical
implementation, can IPOPT converge slowly ? Would it be better to smooth
the constraints so that they are twice differentiable (which seems to be
not that easy) ?

Any information about this would help me a lot.

Sylvain