[Coin-ipopt] Ipopt in amd 64bit tricks/tips

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Wed Dec 12 18:01:48 EST 2007

Hi Rodrigo,

It depends on the default settings for your compiler, but on the Opteron
systems I have been working on, GCC automatically compiles 64bit
executables.  You probably don't have to do anything special to compile
64bit code (to verify, see what the 'file' command ways for your ipopt
executable - for me, it say something like:

ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux
2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

But the default compiler flags set by the COIN configure scripts do not
try to find the most aggressive flags for the platform they are running
on, and you might be able to improve performance by specifying additional
compiler flags (using the ADD_CXXFLAGS, ADD_CFLAGS, ADD_FFLAGS, see
https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/wiki/user-configure#VariableArgumentsforconfigure),
such as -mtune and -march; see the GCC compiler documentation for
details.

I hope this answers your questions,

Andreas

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, [UTF-8] Rodrigo López Negrete de la Fuente wrote:

> Hi all,

I've recently compiled Ipopt in an AMD Opteron (64 bit) computer running
Ubuntu Gusty for 64 Bits without any problems. I simply used

$ ./configure
$ make && make test
$ make install

My question is: are there any combination of flags for the C++ and/or
Fortran compilers that will take full advantage of the 64 bit technology?

Any suggestions will be very welcome!

Thanks to all,
  Rodrigo

--