[Coin-ipopt] bounds on a variable

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Wed May 10 14:14:04 EDT 2006

Hi Olivier,

I'm not really surprised that the problem is more difficult to solve a
problem with bounds than without (since you add more constraints).

In the Fortran version, you can try to play with the initial value of the
barrier parameter, and how the dual variables are initialized.  Also, if
the starting point is very close to the bounds, the first steps can be cut
short quite a bit.  To change that, you can either manually change the
starting point you give to Ipopt, or you can change the values of the
parameters DBNDFRAC and DBNDPUSH.

In the C++ version, you could try the same things, and in addition, you
could try to use the "adaptive" choice of the barrier parameter (see the
parameter mu_strategy).  This tries to choose values for the barrier
parameter, that allow Ipopt to take larger steps.