[Coin-ipopt] Re: IPOPT and AMPL

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Mar 27 10:48:43 EST 2006

Hi Paolo,

Please direct any questions about Ipopt to the Ipopt mailing list at

I'm copying my reply to it.

> I am very interested in trying IPOPT to solve a series of optimization
> problems using AMPL as front-end.
> However, I have been desperately browsing your URL
> <http://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt> http://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt
> and have not been able to locate neither the source code nor the binary
> of IPOPT’s interface to AMPL. Is there a binary distribution for
> Windows?

It is nice to hear you are interested in using Ipopt!

Unfortunately, at this point we cannot distribute binaries for Ipopt at this
point, since the Ipopt excutable requires a sparse linear solver (such as
Harwell's MA27), and we don't have the right to distribute any of those that
are properly integrated.  I hope this will change in the not too far future.

This means, you will have to compile the AMPL solver executable on your own.
On Windows, the easiest way to do this is using Cygwin.  There is detailed
information on how to install Ipopt under Cygwin at

http://www.coin-or.org/Ipopt/documentation/

in the section on "Installing Ipopt".  There is also description how you can
get the source code.  For you, it probably the easiest to obtain it as the
"tarball", ie., you get the ipopt-3.0.1.tgz file from

http://www.coin-or.org/Tarballs/

This file is at the bottom of this page, don't confuse it with
Ipopt_2005Oct18.tgz or similar, that is the old Fortran version (it also works,
but it is no longer actively maintained).  However, if you install subversion
(svn) when you get Cygwin, that might be better, since it will be easier for
you to update your local copy when there is a new release.

I hope this answers your questions.