[Coin-ipopt] Re: Third party solvers

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Tue Jun 6 16:54:13 EDT 2006

Hi James,

Please send message related to Ipopt to the Ipopt mailing list (I'm
copying my answer there).

If you want, you can use only MA57, and no other linear solver.  Just put
the ma57ad.f file (which should include all other HSL dependencies) into
the Extern/HSL directory and run configure after that.  (Or use the
--with-hsl flag to specify a library you already have compiled.)

As for the scaling method, I don't have access to MC29, and cannot write
an interface to it (even if I had the time).  But it should be not very
difficult to modify the

Algorithm/LinearSolvers/IpMc19TSymScalingMethod.[ch]pp

files to use MC29 instead of MC19.  (MC19 is not really for symmetric
matrices, but we trick it and use it for those matrices anyway.  If I
remember correctly, MC29 is actually for symmetric matrices, so the code
would probably look even simpler.)

It would get great if you could contribute such an interface to the Ipopt
open source project!

Cheers

Andreas