[Coin-ipopt] MA27 error message

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Apr 10 17:10:01 EDT 2006

Hi Zhiwen,

That is a good question, it seems that a number of users run into this.

The output means that MA27 requires a lot of fill-in during the
factorization, which can happen when the matrix is very badly scaled.  It
therefore requires more memory than it already has, and Ipopt prints this
message, indicating, how much memory it is now allocating for MA27.

There is an option to equilibriate the linear system give to MA27, using
MC19 (which must be included when you compile Ipopt to be able to use
this).  In the current C++ version of Ipopt, this scaling is done only
when iterative refinement fails.  However, you can tell Ipopt to always
use MC19 to scale the linear system, by setting the option

linear_scaling_on_demand no

Maybe we should make this the default...  (I didn't do this, because in my
tests, it wasn't leading to considerable more robust results, but using
MC19 makes the computation quite a bit slower...)  We might implement some
other heuristics later, but for now, please try if the above option helps.
For some other users, using thie option avoided the huge fill-in in MA27.

Of course, you can also try to use some other linear solver (there are new
interfaces in the most recent release of Ipopt).