[Coin-ipopt] Handle the problem without using automatic differentiation

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Wed Dec 21 11:39:17 EST 2005

David,

> Thanks for your quick reply.
> I just have Ipopt Fortran version installed. According to what you said, I
> just need to provide the Jacobian, is that right?

In principle, yes.  But keep in mind that the code usually become less
efficient and robust if second derivatives are only approximated.
(Computing second derivatives by finite differences - if done exactly
enough - would probably improve robustness, but would probably also make
the whole thing quite slow).

One things to keep in mind is that you want to give Ipopt sparse Jacobian
(and Hessian) matrices, if your objective and constraint functions exhibit
such a sparse structure.  The dense the matrices are, the more expensive
the factorizations (and therefore iterations) become.

Andreas