[Coin-ipopt] Handle the problem without using automatic differentiation

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Tue Dec 20 17:09:37 EST 2005

Hi David,

Ipopt does not approximate any derivatives by finite differences.  If you
want to obtain derivatives that way, you could do so yourself in your code
that implements the computation of the Jacobian and Hessian.

At some point, Ipopt will have an option to approximate the Lagrangian
Hessian by quasi-Newton methods (the Fortran version already has that, but
the C++ version not yet).  But first derivatives will assumed to be
available from the optimization problem.

Regards

Andreas