[Coin-ipopt] Ipopt C_example & Fortran_example Makefile errors

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Sat May 15 12:30:54 EDT 2004

Hi Kirk,

> I tried to build the latest release of Ipopt (checked out from CVS 13 March,
> 2004)
> and got most of it to build but had failures with the example directories.
>
> I used the following configuration flags:
>
> ./configure --with-blas='/d/ctools/nlpsolvers/basic_blas/libfblas.a' \
>     --with-lapack='/d/ctools/nlpsolvers/basic_blas/libflapack.a' \
>     --with-hsl=BUILD
>
> I had my own blas and own lapack but wanted Ipopt to build the hsl libs
> which I
> downloaded.
>
> The summary is as follows (see below for details).
> The lib and include paths are not set correctly (by prefix & exec_prefix)
> The ADDLIBS target is not including the HSL libs that are built.
> I am not familiar enough with the workings of configure to fix the
> Makefile.in(s)
> Can someone make the changes required?

I just tried it on my machine (I used the GNU compilers - did you use
something else?), and it worked fine.

My guess is that you didn't `install' Ipopt.  Before you can build the
examples, you need to have typed

make install

in the main build directory (see step 3.3 in doc/INSTALL).  This will
create ONE library (libipopt.a)  which contains all objects that have been
compiled using the Ipopt Makefiles (including the HSL stuff), and which is
copied into ${prefix}/lib (by default, this is just ./lib in the main
build directory, but one can choose different destinations with the
--prefix flag for ./configure).

This is why ADDLIBS is not supposed to have libiphsl.a in it.  ADDLIBS is
meant to only include all user speficied additional libraries (like your
precompiled BLAS, libfblas.a).  This is different from what the Makefiles
in the pre-autoconf Ipopt release did.

Please let me know if that fixes your problem.

Thanks,