[Coin-ipopt] New C++ Version

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Dec 13 14:00:12 EST 2004

Hi Javier,

Thanks for your message (for further postings please sign up to the
mailing list before sending another message), and apologies for the
delayed response.

> I'm planning to use the Ipopt library in a comercial application, and I
> don't want to pay for the Harwell subroutines. I have some questions
> regarding these subroutines.
>
> How usable is the current vesion when it is not compiled with this subs?

Ipopt needs to solve a large sparse linear system, without this the codes
doesn't work.

> Will the upcoming c++ version depend on these subs?
> Are you planning to replace them in the near future?
> Are there free for comercial use replacements for these subs?

Also the new version will require that this linear system is solved (and
we are not going to implement our own linear solver :).  The new version
would allow to easily add interfaces to additional linear solvers beside
the Harwell subroutines, such as WSMP, Pardiso, MUMPS and TAUCS.  As far
as I know the last two are free of charge also for commercial purposes,
but we haven't tried them yet and don't know how well they would perform
in the context for Ipopt.  If you would like to try them and not wait
until we have implemented interfaces (which we would do based on our own
needs), you are very welcome to write and contribute the interfaces to the
Ipopt open source project!  Please let me know if you are interested and
we can discuss how we can do that.

I hope this helps

Andreas