[Coin-ipopt] Some limitations with IPOPT

jens.pettersson at se.abb.com jens.pettersson at se.abb.com
Wed Aug 25 03:12:42 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm running a project with process optimization where we solving large
non-linear programs. The constraints are discretized DAE-models of the
process and the objective is the squared difference between some process
variables and their setpoints.Thus, the size of the NLP depends on both
the size of the process model(no of equation and variables) and the number
of discretization points.

As solvers we are using both SNOPT and IPOPT and we can easily switch
between these solvers on the same application which makes up for a fair
comparison. If we consider smaller models with a relatively large number
of discretization points, IPOPT is performing very well. We have
succesfully solved NLP:s with 80000 variables within a couple of minutes
on a modern laptop. Typically the number of iterations for IPOPT in these
cases are below 20.

However, for our larger process models with some 1900
differential-algebraic equations IPOPT has some major problems already
above some 10 discretization points. If we are lucky, it solves the
problem under 100 iterations but many times it fails. SNOPT, on the other
hand is very robust for these problems (se attached dump-files).

Which parameters may have an affect on the performance of IPOPT ?? I have
enclosed the PARAMS-file as well.

//Jens