[Coin-ipopt] help needed with DAE2NLP and DYNOPT

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Oct 6 11:10:56 EDT 2003

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your message.

> I have downloaded the IPOPT and DYNOPT routines from
> your website. We have a Nonlinear solver for NLP
> problems. The 'DAE2NLP'
> routine in your DYNOPT package will be very helpfull
> to us for using with the solver which we have. Could
> you please send me a
> documentation of how to use these subroutines to
> convert DAE to NLP problem?

The DAE2NLP package is not really a general-purpose tool for discretizing
DAE models for ANY solver - it is pretty much streamlined for a method
using a "range and null space" decomposition", and in particular to what
IPOPT needs.  When you want to use a different NLP solver, you might be
better off writing routines specific for your solver from scratch,
particularly since we don't have any documentation on the code (except for
what is written at the beginning of the dae2nlp.F file).

Best regards,