[GAMSlinks] revision 1097

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Sun Sep 11 06:48:38 EDT 2011

Hi,

> In GAMSLinks revision 1097 -->  it looks like the [*run|*cmd] files and
> the install directory was moved from
> trunk/GAMSLinks/src/SolverInterfaces to the individual solver folders
> in trunk/GAMSLinks/src/

They haven't moved, but removed. :-)
The stuff in the individual solver directories in trunk/GAMSLinks/src is
very old and I just keep it until I've moved everything over into
trunk/GAMSLinks/src/SolverInterfaces

> I don't understand how the GAMSLinks trunk can currently support the
> solvers (e.g., Couenne) that don't have dedicated folders in
> trunk/GAMSLinks/src/ ?
>
> Basically I'm just trying to update to the latest/greatest versions of
> the COIN-OR solvers.  The configure, make, and make install scripts
> all return successfully, but the *zip files that GAMS needs are not
> created (at least for me).

Yeah, I'm in the process of updating to gams 23.7, and the last step is
missing. The code in src/GamsUtils and src/SolverInterfaces is all that
is needed.
gams 23.7 has a new binary called gmsgenux.out (and similar on windos)
which can load a solver interface dynamically from a library if it
implements certain functions. The library libGamsCoin.so that is created
by make install implements these functions for all the solvers that are
currently supported.
What is still missing, is a script that installs the library and the
opt*def files in gams and makes gams known about the solvers. In gams
23.7, there is no gamsinst anymore. Currently, one needs to edit the
file gmscmpun.txt by hand. The easiest is to just copy sections like
IPOPT into new ones, renaming IPOPT to something different, and
replacing libcoincclib.so by libGamsCoin.so.

Of course, it is also still possible to create an own executable for a
solver. With gams23.7, you would then have to adapt gmscmpun.txt
accordingly.
Also note that when using a callable library via the gmsgenux.out
executable, debugging is much more difficult: gmsgenux.out had not been
linked against the pthreads library, and this make gdb not work anymore. :-(

Stefan