[FlopCpp] Availability of warm starts and examples

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Fri Mar 15 15:58:49 EDT 2019

Hi Simone,

I'm the nominal maintainer of FlopC++, although I did not write it and
haven't used it extensively. The original I sort of inherited maintenance
of it by default and have been fixing things here and there. As far as I
know, FlopC++ does not support warm-starting, but I guess it shouldn't be
very difficult to add. I can try to take a look, but to keep track of your
request, could you open an issue on the GitHub page for the project:

https://github.com/coin-or/FlopCpp

We're in the process of migrating over to Github, but we'll deal with
issues there going forward.

Cheers,

Ted

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 2:52 PM Simone Zaccaria <zaccaria at princeton.edu>
wrote:

> Dear authors,
>
> We have a C++11 program, designed in my research lab at Princeton
> University, which is currently using Gurobi to solve several MILP
> formulations in parallel. Now, I need to replace Gurobi with an open-source
> MILP solver with less restrictive license options, available also for
> non-commercial research entities other than universities. I explored
> several options (GLPK, Coin-OR CBC, SCIP...) but I need to maintain the
> simplicity of the Gurobi interface (an algebraic like interface).
>
> As such, I am looking for an open source C++11 modeling language or MILP
> solver with a C++11 API with the following 2 requirements:
> 1. Algebraic-like style of programming (e.g. add_constraint(x1 + x2 >= x3))
> 2. Possibility to specify WARM STARTS (also called, hot starts, MIP
> starts, or initial solutions) which are basically an initial solution for
> the variables where to start the optimization
> Your FLOC++ package seems a very good option for this, however I was not
> able to understand whether condition 2. is met. Also I would like to know
> if there are some available examples.
>
> Thank you,
> Best regards
> --
> Simone Zaccaria
> Postdoctoral Research Associate
> Raphael Lab, Computer Science Department
> Princeton University
> Princeton, NJ 08540

Dr. Ted Ralphs
Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering
Lehigh University
(610) 628-1280
ted 'at' lehigh 'dot' edu
coral.ie.lehigh.edu/~ted