[FlopCpp] Availability of warm starts and examples

Simone Zaccaria zaccaria at princeton.edu
Fri Mar 15 12:45:16 EDT 2019

Dear authors,

We have a C++11 program, designed in my research lab at Princeton University, which is currently using Gurobi to solve several MILP formulations in parallel. Now, I need to replace Gurobi with an open-source MILP solver with less restrictive license options, available also for non-commercial research entities other than universities. I explored several options (GLPK, Coin-OR CBC, SCIP...) but I need to maintain the simplicity of the Gurobi interface (an algebraic like interface).

As such, I am looking for an open source C++11 modeling language or MILP solver with a C++11 API with the following 2 requirements:
1. Algebraic-like style of programming (e.g. add_constraint(x1 + x2 >= x3))
2. Possibility to specify WARM STARTS (also called, hot starts, MIP starts, or initial solutions) which are basically an initial solution for the variables where to start the optimization
Your FLOC++ package seems a very good option for this, however I was not able to understand whether condition 2. is met. Also I would like to know if there are some available examples.

Thank you,
Best regards
--
Simone Zaccaria