[FlopCpp] Request for suggestion for MSVC8 project...

hpwalton at comcast.net hpwalton at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 18:58:56 EDT 2006

Folks interested in Flopc++:
I'm working on getting MSVC8 solution files for use with flopc++.

Since flopc++ requires COIN to be in place, COIN must reside somewhere.
The struggle I'm having is that it isn't clear where it might be, and how best to set up the solution/project files so that COIN is readily found without modifying the project/solution files directly.

Locally in my environment, I am using the new COIN source layout and VisualStudio projects (very cool!), but others may wish to use other methods...
1- download the binaries
2- use cygwin's make to build the COIN libraries
3- Use their own uber super duper system.

I'm avoiding #3 as that is overly complex for any "default" setup.

Also, the file paths to these installed bits may vary by system.

I think there are a couple of approaches:
APPROACH 1:
Assume some path (say "external" or "coin") from the flopc++ root dir and assume there are 'lib' and 'include' directories under that?

The upside is that it's easy and then it's up to the developer to know how to populate those directories.

The downside of that approach is the loss of the facility to jump between "Debug" and "Release" relatively easy...and the likelyhood that the developer may not read instructions and know to copy stuff in.

Another downside is that if the binaries are not set up precisely the same for runtime library models, they won't link correctly which may lead to excessive emails.

APPROACH2:
Assume a relative similar path to a full coin install (peer to flopc and cleverly named 'coin') and include the MSVC8 COIN projects in the flopc++ solution.

Upside: Full Visual Studio usage of the COIN projects as well as debug/release switch and runtime model swaps all done through visual studio "as is normal for MSVC folks."
Downside: Likelyhood of wrong installs may get a bit of noise from email.

If I don't get feedback, I'm leaning toward approach #2.