[CppAD] A Backward Compatibility Issue Question

kmartin kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu
Fri Feb 16 12:17:54 EST 2007

Hi Brad:

> Is anyone using the CppAD f.Dependent(y) syntax ?
>    http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/dependent.xml

Yes, I use this in a number of places.

> Is anyone using the CppAD PrintFor(text, y) syntax ?
>    http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/printfor.xml

No, I do not use this.

> These two functions use the fact that there is only one CppAD tape in
> order to infer which tape to use. This creates a problem for the current
> development effort (described below).
>
> Would it be a problem if I changed the syntax for these functions so
> that they identify what tape to use ?

I am willing to change. However the following would be nice. Right now I
point my Externals file to

cppad         https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/CppAD/trunk/cppad

If you could make a stable version of the current project with the new
naming (cppad versus CppAD) so I could point to that rather than trunk.
This way I would not be affected by the change to multiple tapes in the
short run. In fact going with multiple tapes seems like a fairly major
change so creating a stable version at this point seems logical.

Thanks

> Current Development Effort
> ===================
>
> You can find a description of OpenMp at
>    http://www.openmp.org/drupal/
>
> The Gnu compiler collection now supports OpenMP
>    http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.2/changes.html
>
> This is part of the CppAD wish list item: Multiple Tapes with Same Base
> Type; see
>    http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/wishlist.htm
>
> I am currently working on this item. You can see the progress in the
> OpenMp branch on
>    https://projects.coin-or.org/CppAD/timeline

Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research